Passionate about basketball! Why not install a basketball court in your backyard? The good news is that it is one of the simplest backyard courts that can be installed. And, after installing it, you can enjoy endless hours of basketball fun in the comfort of your home. To avoid interruptions to your game, why not install backyard basketball court lighting so that you can play as and when you feel like!
However, while lighting a backyard basketball court, certain factors need to be borne in mind:
There are specific building codes such as height restrictions, proximity to the border, foot candle limitations, etc. The building code may set a limit on the height of the light pole.
This is when light spills to areas such as your neighbor’s premises and causes a disturbance to them. Light spillage can be controlled by limiting the foot candles of your light.
This is also an important factor to be considered while the installation of lights for the court. The various expenses involved are the cost of the fixture, installation cost, maintenance expenses, and operating costs. It is vital to choose the lighting from a reliable supplier so that you can reduce your operating and maintenance expenses.
Let me explain how to plan the lighting:
• Sport lighting standards are measured in “foot candles” which implies the illumination per square foot. A backyard basketball court is 30’*35′ in dimensions. For this size of the court, the lighting required is 10-19 foot candles.
• The lighting requirements for an outdoor court are different from that of an indoor court.
• The lighting required is also dependent on the audience watching. Obviously, a backyard court will have a limited audience. So you can install a lower intensity of light.
• The lighting required by the basketball court also depends on the size of the court.
• Lighting should also be sufficient for the sidelines as well.
After this, we come to the choice of lights.
Options for lighting used for a backyard basketball court:
Luminaires: They are made of cast aluminum and use the lighting technology Pulse Start Metal Halide(PSMH) which ensures a long life and low energy consumption.
LED lighting: LED lighting has become more prevalent now. This type of lighting has a high initial cost but proves economical in the long run. This is because of low power consumption and long life.
With all the information, what are you waiting for? Install a backyard basketball court to enjoy endless hours of fun!